Depreciation Lands Museum

About Us

The Depreciation Lands Museum is located in western Pennsylvania, approximately ten miles north of Pittsburgh.


Created by Hampton Township in 1973, the museum seeks to preserve and interpret the early years of European settlement in the Depreciation Lands. In 1783, the state of Pennsylvania set aside 720,000 acres of land in western Pennsylvania to compensate its Revolutionary War soldiers for their services, since the dollar had depreciated drastically during the war. Known as The Depreciation Lands, the area included all of the North Hills of Pittsburgh, and further, to a line 4 1/2 miles north of the present city of Butler, thereby, also encompanssing parts of Butler, Beaver, Lawrence and Armstrong Counties.


The Museum's peaceful wooded grounds transport the visitor into an earlier time, with costumed demonstrators every Sunday afternoon during the season, May - October. The site includes the Pine Creek Covenanter Church, built in 1837, and the associated cemetery, the Armstrong log house, built in 1803, an herb garden, a replica school, circa 1885, working blacksmith shop, bee hive bake oven, smoke house and Tavern, an 18th century style gathering place. The Barn houses a Conestoga wagon, displays, workshop, and a replical Mercantile.


The Cemetery and peaceful, shady grounds, furnished with picnic tables, are open Sunrise to Sunset every day.


Dedicated Volunteers offer a variety of family oriented activities through out the year. Be sure to check our Hours of operation and the Calendar of special events. There are a variety of special group activities which can be scheduled for school, scout, families and adult groups.